Lionel Messi is still technically a free agent following the expiry of his previous deal with Barcelona at the end of last season. The mercurial 34-year-old is yet to sign fresh terms with the Catalan giants, who are desperate to keep hold of their prized asset ahead of the new campaign.
Barca president Joan Laporta has publicly underlined his desire to retain Messi’s services on a number of recent occasions, and a new contract has reportedly been agreed behind the scenes.
However, the club’s ongoing financial crisis has seemingly forced Laporta into putting his plans on hold for the time being.
Next season’s La Liga salary cap is expected to be around the £200million mark, meaning that a number of players will need to be sold in order to boost the 59-year-old’s hopes of tying down his star man over the coming weeks and months.
It has been suggested that Messi, who tried to leave Barca last summer, could look to end his career in the MLS with Inter Miami in the not-too-distant future.
Recent reports have claimed that he will stay at the Nou Camp for two more years before making the trip across the Atlantic to link up with the Floridian outfit while simultaneously serving as a club ambassador for Barca.
The Argentina international has sparked fresh rumours that an imminent switch to the MLS could be on the cards by showing off his post-season holiday in Miami on social media.
He posted a picture with his family outside the famous Hard Rock Hotel in the city via Instagram on Tuesday, with his fondness of the area suggesting that a sensational move to Inter Miami could eventually come to fruition.
Messi also reportedly owns a stunning home in Florida that was purchased earlier this year for around £5m, according to The Sun.
He previously admitted that he would be interested in working in America at some point in the future, hinting at a possible career swansong across the pond.
“I’ve always had the dream of playing in another league, in the United States,” Messi told Spanish TV channel La Sexta back in December.
“Maybe it will happen, it doesn’t have to be right away.”
Meanwhile, Inter Miami co-owner and England legend David Beckham recently suggested that he would like to bring Messi to the club, with the 46-year-old explaining that his franchise was designed to attract the best players in world football.
“When we announced Miami, there was always going to be talk about what players we were going to bring in, whether it was [Cristiano] Ronaldo, Messi, Neymar,” Beckham told ESPN in March.