Breonna Taylor killing one year later: Changes haven’t been enough to heal wounds, family says

Breonna Taylor killing one year later: Changes haven’t been enough to heal wounds, family says

Facing this reality makes her angry. But Palmer said she will never give up her fight to see the officers criminally charged.

“It can’t end here,” Palmer told CNN. “I’m still out here, I’m still doing what I need to do to get justice for Breonna to make sure that people do right by her.”

Palmer this week filed internal affairs complaints against six officers with the Professional Standards Unit of the Louisville Metro Police Department, according to the complaints provided to CNN by Palmer’s attorney, Sam Aguiar.

In the complaints, Palmer alleges the behavior of four officers was “unacceptable, intolerable and contributing factors to Breonna’s death and the deficient investigation thereafter.”

In a statement to CNN, Aguiar said, “These internal affairs complaints were filed to get answers, explanations and accountability.”

Since protests last year over Taylor’s death, Louisville has passed Breonna’s Law, which banned no-knock warrants, fired three of the officers involved in Taylor’s death, and settled a historic $12 million lawsuit with Taylor’s family that included an agreement for the city to institute police reforms. Last May, the FBI launched an investigation into Taylor’s death. The city also hired embattled former Atlanta police chief Erika Shields — who stepped down after Rayshard Brooks was killed by one of her officers last June — to lead its police department earlier this year. Most recently, a Kentucky judge dismissed the charges against Kenneth Walker, the boyfriend of Taylor who was accused of firing one shot that struck an officer during the raid at Taylor’s apartment.

Taylor’s family and activists say the moves haven’t been enough to heal the wounds caused by her death.

They continue to push for the police officers to be charged after a grand jury didn’t indict any of them in Taylor’s death. Former Louisville police officer Brett Hankinson was the lone officer to face an indictment and that included three counts of wanton endangerment for blindly…

Read the full article at rss.cnn.com

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *