Nigerians Demand Probe Of Unaccounted Arms Fund

Nigerians Demand Probe Of Unaccounted Arms Fund

[ad_1]

By Jonathan Nda- Isaiah, Abuja

Miffed by the revelation made by the National Security Adviser, Major General Babagana Monguno (rtd), Nigerians have called for a thorough investigation into the utilisation of funds released for the purchase of arms and ammunition.

In an interview he granted BBC Hausa service yesterday, Monguno revealed that billions of naira meant for the procurement of arms and ammunition were unaccounted for.

According to him, neither the money nor the arms are on ground upon resumption of the new service chiefs, even as he pointed out that he was not accusing the former service chiefs.

Noting that there is no information about the whereabouts of the money, the NSA said, “It is not that we are not working to end the security challenge in the country. The president has done his own part and allocated a huge amount of money to purchase weapons but they are yet to be here. We don’t know where they are.

“I am not saying that the past service chiefs have diverted the money, but presently we don’t know where the money is.”
On whether investigation has commenced on the unaccounted funds or not, Monguno said, “I am sure the president will investigate this. As I am talking to you now, even the Nigerian Governors Forum has started questioning where the money is. So, I assure you that the president is not playing with anything that has to do with the people.

“I can’t say the money was stolen but we didn’t see anything and even the new service chiefs said they didn’t see the weapons. It is possible the weapons are on their way coming. Maybe from America, England and other places but as of now, I didn’t see anything and the service chiefs too didn’t see any weapons either.”

But reacting to the NSA’s revelation, Nigerians, including interest groups, who spoke with LEADERSHIP Weekend, described the story as incredible.

The apex northern socio-cultural group, Arewa Consultative Forum (ACF), urged President Buhari to investigate the allegation of unaccounted arms funds if he does not want his name smeared beyond redemption.

National publicity secretary of the forum, Emmanuel Yawe, said, “This is an incredible story. The same General Mongonu was there when all these sordid things were happening.

“How come he did not detect that billions of Naira were not put to use as budgeted and released? Is that how this government operates; huge amounts of public money is…

[ad_2]

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *