Auto Draft

Boko Haram, bandits: Anxiety, fear mount in Niger State communities

Daily Post

The people of Niger State were jolted and shakened by the official statement of the State Governor, Alh. Abubakar Sani Bello on Tuesday, 28th April, 2021 of the presence of Boko Haram terrorists in Kaura, Shiroro local government of the state, less than four hours drive to Minna, the state capital where, he said the sect have hosted their flag and had captured over 50 villages within the last three weeks.

Bello speaking to journalists during a visit to an IDPs camp in IBB Primary School, Minna, had lamented that the sect and bandits have stamped their authority in Kaura area and over 3,000 original owners dislodged from their ancestral land.

According to him, “I am confirming that there are Boko Haram elements around Kaure in Shiroro local government of Niger state. They have taken over the territory. They have installed their flag. I am confirming to you now that they have taken over the wives of people by force”.

The Governor warned that the Boko Haram terrorists are trying to make Kaure their home and headquarters like they did to Sambisa forest, noting that while Sambisa forest is several kilometres away from Abuja, Kaure is only two hours drive to Abuja.

Obviously overwhelmed by the situation, he further insisted, “I have been engaging the federal government and unfortunately it has gotten to this stage and if care is not taken even Abuja is not safe. We have been saying this for long and all efforts have been in vain.”

Recall that former governor of Niger state in Niger, Dr. Mu’azu Babangida Aliyu at the 12th Annual Conference and General Meeting of the Society for Peace Studies and Practice in Abuja in 2018 revealed that the dreaded terrorist group would have started in the State in Mokwa, Mokwa local government but because of the proactive step his administration took then.

Dr. Aliyu explained that in 2007 when he became the Governor of the state at that time, the sect leader, Shekau and other members totalling 7,000 lived in Mokwa. He said the sect were dislodged but later Shekau resurfaced in Maiduguri.

This news originally appeared in Daily Post.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *