I've reported EFCC to Buhari: Okorocha

I've reported EFCC to Buhari: Okorocha

Peoples Gazette

Former Governor Rochas Okorocha says he has spoken to President Muhammadu Buhari to prevail on the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) to stop “harassing and intimidating” him.

Speaking with journalists after his meeting on Thursday with Mr Buhari at the Presidential Villa, Mr Okorocha said he visited the president to discuss both politics and the issue between him and the anti-graft agency. 

“I used this opportunity to intimate the president on what is going on between me and the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, the harassment, the intimidation I’m getting from the EFCC literally on a daily basis,” Mr Okorocha said.

“And to inform him that I have court judgements which stops the EFCC from harrassing and intimidating me and all that. The EFCC has refused to obey the law. 

“That’s why I have to inform Mr President that the EFCC should be meant to obey the law that establish them.

“Without the law there wouldn’t have been the EFCC. And the desperation with which they go about any affair that concerns me should stop,” Mr Okorocha added.

On Monday, the EFCC filed a 17-count charge against Mr Okorocha, who had declared to contest for president in 2023, accusing him of looting about N2.9 billion as governor of Imo State. 

However, Mr Okorocha dismissed the EFCC’s claim, saying he cannot steal from Imo because he is richer than the state. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *